San José adopted a Vision Zero transportation safety initiative in May 2015. Vision Zero aims to end fatalities and reduce severe injuries caused by traffic collisions. San José identified Senter Road as a Vision Zero Priority Safety Corridor because of the high number of fatal and severe injury crashes. Senter Road Traffic Safety Improvements Project will make the street safer for all.
Improvements for Pedestrians
For a safe and pleasant walking environment, this project will install:
- Quick-build corner curb extensions
- ADA compliant curb ramps
- High-visibility crosswalks
- Pedestrian signal timing improvements
- Median island fencing
Improvements for Bicyclists
To improve safety and access for bicyclists, this project will install:
- New bike lanes (where missing)
- Added protections for existing bike lanes
- Green pavement markings
Improvements for Motorists
To slow speeds, this project will include:
- Concrete median islands with trees
- Reconfigured travel lanes
- Increased turning-lane capacity at major intersections
- Pavement resurfacing
- Upgraded streetlights
Construction is scheduled to begin in October 2020 with completion expected in early 2021.
Learn more about San José’s Vision Zero transportation safety initiative.