Updated Access & Mobility Plan Goals
The Access & Mobility Plan identified nine transportation-focused goals to help meet the City’s aspiration to make it easier to bike, walk, and take transit in San José. In November 2020, at four public workshops held in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese, the City presented these nine goals to the community and asked for input.
All feedback, insights, and personal lived experience shared in the four workshops were considered. Certain concerns, frustrations, and suggestions arose across all four workshops, including:
- The need for transportation education so people can understand their options
- Desire for more convenient and safer access to reliable and frequent public transit
- The need for better maintained streets, sidewalks, bike lanes, and transit stops
Based on this input, we updated the Access & Mobility Plan goals. Three of the goals were revised to accommodate the key concerns we heard. We renamed the third goal “Enjoyable Transportation” (instead of “Transportation Happiness”) because the original term did not resonate with many community members.
- Less Driving: Have more travel choices, so trips can be made without driving
- Access for All (updated): Increase transportation education, affordability, options and use of driving alternatives, especially in historically underserved communities
- Enjoyable Transportation (updated): Make getting around pleasant, easy, reliable and appealing
- Transportation Safety (updated): Maintain and make improvements to the bike, walk, and transit system to support Vision Zero, prioritizing the personal security of the most vulnerable populations
- Clean the Air: Reduce pollution from cars and trucks
- 20-minute Neighborhoods: Create great places so it’s easy to run errands and get to schools and parks without a car
- Connected Neighborhoods: Make it easy to get between neighborhoods and to major destinations by foot, bike, bus, rail, and other shared options
- Moving the Economy: Provide access to diverse jobs by sustainable modes, support goods to market, and support job growth in San José
- Plan for the Future: Use the newest ideas to keep the transportation system modern, fair, and effective